National Records of Scotland

Preserving the past, Recording the present, Informing the future

I want to Register a Civil Partnership in Scotland. How do I go about it?

I want to Register a Civil Partnership in Scotland. How do I go about it?

The Civil Partnership Act 2004, which applies throughout the UK and came into force on 5 December 2005, allows same sex couples to register a civil partnership. 

On 28 July 2020, the Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act 2020 became law. This Act makes provision for mixed sex couples to register a civil partnership.  

From 1 June 2021, it will be possible to submit notice of intention to enter a mixed sex civil partnership in Scotland. A notice period of 28 clear days is required, which means that mixed sex civil partnerships could take place from 30 June 2021 onwards.  

While 28 clear days is the minimum notice period required, it is advisable for couples to give ten to twelve weeks’ notice of their intention to register a civil partnership, in order to allow sufficient time for the registrar to satisfy themselves that the parties are free to become partners.  

If you are subject to Immigration Control please read the attached information (92 KB PDF) carefully.

You will need to book a place, date and time for your civil partnership. You should also be aware that, whether you intend to have your civil partnership registered by a Registrar, or by an approved celebrant from a religious or belief body, you must by law submit notice forms and the associated documents, and pay the statutory fee, to the Registrar in whose district you intend to be civilly partnered.  

You may find it useful to download the following documents about our requirements.

The RCP1 leaflet should answer most of your questions, but please bear in mind the following points:

  • Always telephone the selected local Registrar before filling in form CP10.
  • If you want to register a Civil Partnership, the Registrar will be able to help you choose a day and time, and tell you what fees you are likely to pay.
  • They will also confirm what form of payment the Registrar can accept.
  • Notice forms and accompanying documents should be sent to the Registrar for the district where the civil partnership will be registered (not to NRS).
  • Both parties intending to register the Civil Partnership should provide the Registrar with a postal address and a contact telephone number (and if possible, an email address or fax number).
  • You must post (not email) the completed forms to arrive approximately 10-12 weeks before the date of the intended registration of the Civil Partnership and certainly no later than 29 days before. 

You must include:

  • the questionnaire if you are submitting divorce or dissolution documents from outside the United Kingdom;
  • original or certified copies of documents provided by the issuing authority;
  • the Declaration of Status by Non-UK Nationals form if you are subject to Immigration Control;
  • the Witness Details form (if you have chosen your witnesses);
  • the appropriate payment to the relevant local Registrar (not to the National Records of Scotland). The registrar will not be able to accept forms without payment.
  • If you intend to submit the completed forms in person please be aware the opening hours of registration offices vary between local authorities and some operate an appointments system. You should check with the relevant local authority before attending an office.
  • The names of the parties registering a civil partnership and the date of the civil partnership registration will be published on a List of Intended Civil Partnerships which will be on public display at the registration office.

If you want a religious or belief civil partnership, the civil partnership schedule needs to be collected in person by one of the parties to the civil partnership from the registrar no more than 7 days prior to the date of the civil partnership during office hours. The civil partnership schedule must be returned to the registrar within 3 days of the civil partnership so the civil partnership can be registered. If you cannot take the civil partnership schedule back personally, you can ask someone else to take it for you or you can post it so that it is received by the registrar within that 3 day timescale.

Are you subject to immigration controls?

If you intend to visit Scotland to get married or to register a civil partnership, you will need an entry clearance if you are not a relevant national.

A relevant national is defined as a person who is:

  • a British citizen;
  • an Irish citizen;
  • a person with EU Settlement Scheme (“EUSS”) settled status;
  • a person with EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) pre-settled status; or
  • a person with a pending application to the EUSS.

Information is available on GOV.UK website. Please also read the attached information (92 KB PDF) carefully.

If you are just visiting Scotland to change your civil partnership registered in Scotland to a marriage, you do not need entry clearance but will need to provide evidence to show that you are in an existing civil partnership when you enter the UK.

If you have any questions, contact the Home Office’s UK Visas and Immigration Contact Centre (Tel no: 0300 123 2241).

Registrars have a statutory duty to report any marriage or civil partnership they suspect has been registered for the sole purpose of evading statutory immigration controls.