This design for the Register Offices in Scotland was drawn by Robert Baldwin, who had worked with the Earl of Morton, Lord Clerk Register, in the 1760s to promote the building of a purpose built repository. At the time this plan was drawn in 1767, no site had yet been found for the building. Morton died in 1768, and Robert and James Adam became involved in the project. Their design was accepted in 1772 and construction began in 1774. For a brief history of General Register House (as the building is now known), please read our Doors Open Days blog post.
General Register House, Princes Street: Morton-Baldwin design for Register Offices: Ground floor plan, 26 March 1767
Credit: Crown copyright, NRS, RHP6082/2 (Link to the Online Catalogue entry)