National Records of Scotland

Preserving the past, Recording the present, Informing the future

Search Rooms

Search Rooms

The ScotlandsPeople Centre has two search rooms in General Register House and New Register House.  Each has its own unique style and character.

Reid Room

Reid RoomThis search room is named after the architect Robert Reid (1774-1856) who completed the work on General Register House in the 1820s after Robert Adam’s death.

It is located on the ground floor of General Register House and can be accessed via the main entrance to General Register House or the Archivists' Garden.

It has 36 bookable seats. Printers are on hand for customers to print off copies of historical documents for a fee.

The Reid Room also provides:

  • One stand alone computer with access to Virtual Volumes and the Library catalogue;
  • Three adjustable desks for wheelchair users or people with mobility impairments. These seats can be booked online on our ScotlandsPeople website or by visiting us;
  • A microfiche reader and a microfilm reader which can be used to view publications and indexes;
  • A set of search room finding-aids, the Library Guide, Groome' gazetteer, Slater's directory and Post Office directories for Edinburgh and Glasgow in the wall cupboards on the south wall.

A door in the corridor leads to the Archivists’ Garden via a ramp as well as our cafe in the adjacent New Register House via a path and ramp. 

Dundas Room

This search room is named after William Pitt Dundas, the first Registrar General for Scotland. It is located on the ground floor of New Register House and can be accessed via the building’s main entrance or the Archivists’ Dundas Room in New Register HouseGarden.

The Dundas Room has nine standard computer desks plus one adjustable desk for wheelchair users or people with mobility impairments that can be booked online. Printers are available for customers to print off copies of historical documents for a fee.

It also provides:

  • ScotlandsPeople Centre Reference Library books including the monumental inscriptions collection;
  • A stand alone computer providing access to digital publications and databases such as FamilySearch;
  • A microfiche reader and a microfilm reader;
  • A set of search room finding-aids.

The glass doors open onto the Archivists’ Garden. The door to the east corridor leads through to the cafe, toilets, New Register House Dome Seminar Facility and meeting room.