National Records of Scotland

Preserving the past, Recording the present, Informing the future

Getting Married in Scotland

Getting Married in Scotland

I want to organise a "surprise" wedding for my partner. Is this possible?

No. By law both parties to a marriage are required to submit marriage notice forms to the registrar of the district in which the marriage is to take place. This means that both parties must be aware of this and independently complete and sign the declaration on form M10 (197 KB pdf) to the effect that the information given is correct. Failure to give proper notice can result in a marriage being postponed or prevented from proceeding.

Last updated April 2023