Survey work begins on the Adam Dome.
The main entrance to General Register House (GRH) will be closed from 15th April until further notice, to allow for specialist consultants to carry out investigation work on the Adam Dome in General Register House, one of the world’s oldest custom built archive buildings still in its original use.
Search room facilities will remain open and all visitors to the Reid, Historical and Legal Search Rooms should report to the relevant search room via the Garden entrance. Signage will be in place to direct customers and visitors.
All other visitors should go to the main reception area or the accessible reception, both at New Register House.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this investigation work.
Visit our Search Rooms in Edinburgh
We recommend that you read our search room pages before your visit. They cover readers' tickets and search room passes, seat booking, fees and charges, search room regulations and research services.
The search rooms are open from 09:00 to 16:30 Monday to Friday, except for some public holidays.
- Historical Search Room (including access to Maps and Plans)
- Legal Search Room
- ScotlandsPeople Centre (for family history research)
- Disabled access and facilities
- Our Reference Library is available to researchers
- A Search Room User Group meets regularly to discuss developments and issues.
Find out more about
- The Archivists' Garden
- Visitor facilities at General Register House and New Register House
- Booking the New Register House Dome Seminar Facility and meeting rooms.
View our location guides
- Map showing the location of General Register House and New Register House in central Edinburgh.
- Plan of New Register House, the Archivists' Garden and General Register House showing all facilities and entrances.