NRS Updates: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
NRS Updates: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
- Registration Services
- Statistical publications
- NRS Learning Services
- Services to record depositors
- Contact us
Our buildings are currently closed and our staff are working from home, in line with advice from the Scottish Government on restricting the spread of COVID-19.
We are therefore unable to process any certificate orders as we do not have access to our secure certificate paper or official seal. We are in the process of arranging full refunds for any orders which we have not been able to complete.
We understand that there may be very urgent cases where official confirmation of an event taking place is required. If this is the case, please use our contact form on ScotlandsPeople selecting ‘Certificates and Copies’ and one of our team will respond directly.
In late March, registration of births was temporarily suspended to allow registrars to focus on the registration of deaths and still-births. Since 29 June, registration offices have been reopening for high-priority activities. This includes birth registrations and processing notices of intention to marry and to enter a civil partnership.
NRS understands that this is a very distressing and difficult time for bereaved families. We have been working closely with the Scottish Government and local authorities to introduce a system which will allow registrars to take ‘remote’ registration of deaths, by telephone or electronic means. This system is now live and further information is available from our Registering a Death page or contact your local registration office (528 KB PDF) direct, to arrange an appointment.
Please check the guidance for Registration of Births issued by the Registrar General for Scotland on Phase 2 of the Route map through and out of the COVID-19 crisis
Please check the Getting Married in Scotland for guidance issued by the Registrar General for Scotland on Phase 2 of the Route map through and out of the COVID-19 crisis.
Marriages and Civil Partnerships:
If you have an urgent query about a marriage or civil partnership, please email: email@example.com.
Change of Name:
If you would like advice on how to have a change of name recorded, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that no change of name requests can be processed until our normal service has resumed.
If you would like advice about the re-registration of a birth or still-birth, please email: email@example.com. Please be aware that no re-registration applications will be processed until our normal service has resumed.
If you would like general advice about the gender recognition process or how the birth registration process works in Scotland, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Services which will not be available:
- Corrections to register entries
- The issue of Multilingual Translation Aids
- Letters confirming the status of someone after a check of national indexes (To Whom it May Concern Letters).
Transfer of Records to NRS
The transfer of records to NRS is currently suspended. However we continue to offer advice and guidance to our client depositors. Please contact us as follows:
- Government bodies: Government_Records_Branch@nrscotland.gov.uk
- Courts and Judicial bodies: CourtLegalPrivate@nrscotland.gov.uk
- Private bodies and churches: CourtLegalPrivate@nrscotland.gov.uk
The temporary return of records to client bodies from NRS is currently suspended. We understand that there may be very urgent cases where access to records is required. If this is the case please contact as follows:
- Courts and COPFS: CourtLegalPrivate@nrscotland.gov.uk
- Crown Estate Scotland, Historic Environment Scotland and Scottish Government: Government_Records_Branch@nrscotland.gov.uk
Which NRS services can I use during this closure?
We will continue to deliver a number of our services including:
- Statistical publications: NRS is reviewing its data gathering and release practices, and focussing efforts on priority statistics in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Users and stakeholders will be advised of any changes as soon as possible. The latest information on publication dates and further information including contact details is available on our statistics publication page.
- Historical and Legal documents: if you have any enquiries related to historical or legal documents held in our archives (which are not held on our ScotlandsPeople website) please contact us via email. Our access to these documents is limited.
- Scottish Register of Tartans: You can currently apply to register your tartan online via your account and submit enquiries via email. We are registering approved tartans on our website but we are currently unable to issue tartan certificates related to recently approved registrations. We will issue these as soon as we can.
- ScotlandsPeople: our online services are available as usual and our teams are currently working from home to make new records available for release. There are a number of our records which you can search and view for free. ScotlandsPlaces also offers a range of free resources which will help to support your research and ScottishHandwriting website, offers free online tuition in palaeography for anyone who is having difficulties reading manuscript historical records written in Scotland.
- NRS Learning Services: Teachers, pupils and learners of all ages and stages can access and engage with our online resources via the Learning section of the NRS website. The resources available at Services for Schools and Scottish Archives for Schools are designed to support the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence and National Qualifications. If you have any enquiries, contact us by email.
- NRS Web Continuity Service continues to operate. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
- Public Records Scotland Act (PRSA): The Records Management Plan and Progress Update Review rolling programme of assessmentcontinues as normal. We do however appreciate that many of our stakeholder authorities will themselves be experiencing disruption during this time. Please contact the team by email if you have any queries or concerns.
- National Register of Archives for Scotland: Access to records held privately has necessarily been withdrawn during this period. The NRAS however continues to offer advice and guidance to owners and researchers, please contact us by email.
- Advice and support for the archive sector: while premises are in lockdown, it is important to ensure that archive collections remain safe and secure. The National Archives has useful webpages covering collections safety, Archive Service Accreditation, and a list of useful guidance and resources from other organisations.
- Disaster or incident control advice relating to archive collections can be provided remotely by the NRS Preservation team. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exhibition Loans: we can still provide advice on current and potential exhibition loans. Please contact email@example.com.
- Adoptions: Our team are currently working from home with limited access to our records. The registering of new adoptions and the issuing of new adoption certificates has been suspended until staff are able to get back into the office. Work on issuing original birth certificates will recommence once staff are able to return to the office. If you require information on ordering an older adoption certificate please see the Ordering a Certificate section. If you have any enquiries relating to adoptions please contact us by email.
- Enquiries: Contact us by email. We will endeavour to respond to all enquires. Due to current circumstances, we may not meet normal timescales for response and our normal access to our records may be limited, which will impact on the information and copies which we can provide at this time.
We are now able to answer general enquiries via our phone lines as a means of support for customers who do not have access to email or for those who have urgent enquiries. Please contact us on 08000 308 308 and one of our staff team will be happy to help. Our helpline will be open Monday to Thursday 9 am to 5 pm and Friday 9 am to 4.30 pm. Our teams across NRS will continue to answer direct enquiries through the email addresses below so please continue to use those if you have the means to do so. Due to our buildings remaining closed and current restrictions on services, there may be a limit to the information that we can provide at this time.
|Marriages and Civil Partnershipsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Change of Nameemail@example.com|
|Re-registration of a Birth or Stillfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Historical and Legal email@example.com|
|Scottish Register of Tartansfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Freedom of Informationemail@example.com|