This guide covers secondary sources, some dating from the early 19th century, that can support your research in our archive collections. They are available in our Reference Library and in other major libraries.
- For details of our current publications relating to archives please go to the Shop page
- For online access to our statistical publications please go to the Statistics and Data area of this website.
Annual Report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland
These publications provide information about the work of the National Archives of Scotland (formerly the Scottish Record Office). The last eight reports are published here in portable document format. PDF files require Acrobat Reader. Download it free .
- Annual report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland 1999-2000 (925 Kb)
- Annual report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland 2000-2001 (2.3 Mb)
- Annual report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland 2001-2002 (1.1 Mb)
- Annual report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland 2002-2003 (1.8 Mb)
- Annual report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland 2003-2004 (1 Mb)
- Annual report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland 2004-2005 (836 Kb)
- Annual report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland 2005-2006 (6 Mb)
- Annual report of the Keeper of the Records of Scotland 2006-2007 (2 Mb)
Gordon Donaldson's 'The sources of Scottish history' is a comprehensive guide to both records and works of reference. It discusses central and local public records, church records and their descendants, private records and other materials. It also describes bibliographical, biographical, topographical, chronological and other publications and contemporary narrative sources. It was initially published privately in 1978 and only later was it offered for public sale. Consequently it will be available only in larger libraries and in specialist history collections.
Two long-standing societies are still active in the field of publishing archival material.
- The Scottish Record Society has published a wide variety of lists, indexes, transcripts and abridgements of individual records.
- The Scottish History Society has concentrated on publishing longer editions of historical documents.
Their publications, and those of other Scottish historical and related clubs and societies, are listed in D and W B Stevenson, 'Scottish texts and calendars: an analytical guide to serial publications (Scottish History Society and Royal Historical Society, 1987).
Still of use for their lists of publications of Scottish state papers are:
- C S Terry, 'A catalogue of the publications of Scottish historical and kindred clubs and societies and of the volumes relative to Scottish history issued by His Majesty's Stationery Office, 1780-1908' (Glasgow, 1909)
- C Matheson, 'A catalogue of the publications of Scottish historical and kindred clubs and societies and of the papers relative to Scottish History issued by HM Stationery Office, including the reports of the Royal Commission on Historical MSS, 1908-1927' (Aberdeen, 1928).
Other publications about our records are:
- 'Accounts of the Masters of Works: for building and repairing royal palaces and castles' Two volumes, 1529-1649. Edited by Henry M. Paton et al. (Edinburgh, Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1957-1982)
- 'Compota Thesaurariorum Regum Scotorum Accounts of the Lord High Treasurer of Scotland' also called 'Accounts of the Treasurer of Scotland'. 13 volumes, 1473-1580. Edited by Thomas Dickson et al. (Edinburgh, HM General Register House/Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1877-1978)
- 'Rotuli Scaccarii Regum Scotorum. The Exchequer Rolls of Scotland'. 22 volumes, 1264-1600. Edited by John Stuart and George Burnett et al. (Edinburgh, HM General Register House, 1878-1908)
- 'Registrum Magni Sigilli Regum Scotorum. The Register of the Great Seal of Scotland'. 11 volumes, 1306-1668. Edited by John Maitland Thomson et al. (Edinburgh, Scottish Record Society, 1984)
- 'Registrum Secreti Sigilli Regum Scotorum. The Register of the Privy Seal of Scotland'. 8 volumes, 1488-1584. Edited by M. Livingstone et al. (Edinburgh, HM General Register House/Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1908-1982)
- 'Acta Dominorum Concilii. Acts of the Lords of Council in civil causes'. 3 volumes, 1478-1503. Edited by George Neilson et al. (Edinburgh, HM General Register House/Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1839-1993)
- 'Acts of the Lords of Council in Public Affairs'. One volume, 1501-1554. Edited by Robert Kerr Hannay (Edinburgh, HM General Register House, 1932)
- 'The Register of the Privy Council of Scotland'. 16 volumes 1545-1691. Edited by John Hill Burton et al. (Edinburgh, HM General Register House/Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1877-1970)
- 'The Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland'. 11 volumes with two volumes of indices and 1 later suppressed volume dated 1124-1707, which contains various items of parliamentary business, including minutes, orders of council and session and some statutes omitted from the previous 11 volumes.