This plan from the 1960s depicts housing developments of the City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh since 1944. Temporary and permanent housing are shown in different shades of red. Thousands of pre-fabricated homes were erected across Scotland following the end of World War Two. Southhouse, shown at the bottom of this plan was one such area in Edinburgh where these temporary homes, made from metal, stone block and wood, ended up being lived in for much longer than planned.
Credit: Crown copyright, NRS, DD6/2356 (Link to the Online Catalogue entry)