This photograph, taken in the first decade of the 20th century, shows a view looking up the street with the Tolbooth on the right hand side. The Tolbooth was built in 1591 and served as burgh jail, courthouse and as a place for the town council to meet. Originally, the Canongate was separate from the Royal Burgh of Edinburgh, but became incorporated in 1856. The Tolbooth underwent renovations in the 1870s and in 1884 the famous clock was added.
Credit: Crown copyright, NRS, GD1/666/5 (Link to the Online Catalogue entry)