The National Gallery of Scotland: Front and side elevations of ornament of large pediment, 3 June 1853
The Scottish National Gallery sits at the foot of the Mound, along the edge of Princes Street. William Henry Playfair, one of the leading architects in 19th century Scotland, designed the building which houses Scotland’s national collection of fine art from the early Renaissance to the end of the 19th century. His buildings were inspired by classicism and he was known for producing multiple detailed drawings for each one, including these elevations. The upper surface of large pediments show blocks for carrying decorative ornaments.
Credit: Crown copyright, NRS, RHP6504/214 (Link to the Online Catalogue entry)